What's better than a 3-day weekend? (Besides a 4, 5, or 6 day weekend...) How about a holiday weekend plus some delicious ice cream?! Now we're talking. This is the perfect Labor Day recipe, and get excited because it's only 5 ingredients and you don't even need an ice cream maker! This ice cream is super easy to make, it's dairy-free, paleo-friendly, and Labor Day-bikini-friendly too, and I promise it doesn't skimp on flavor. It's nice and creamy, and perfectly sweet, plus it's pretty darn cute.
By the way, who else addicted to coconut cream? I can't believe how long I lived without it, and now it's a definite staple on my grocery list. First it started as a topping for all of my summer fruits, then I used it as the filling for these strawberry tarts, and now it's the most important ingredient in my ice cream. Who knew a $2 can of coconut milk would bring so much deliciousness into my life. Anyway who's ready to make some ice cream?
2 cups organic strawberries, halved + 3 extra strawbs
1 (13.5 oz) can coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tbsp 100% maple syrup
Pinch of sea salt
1. Remove coconut milk from fridge. Flip the can over, open the can, and pour out the liquid.
Scoop solid coconut cream into a blender.
2. Add 2 cups strawberries to blender.
3. Add vanilla, maple syrup, and salt, and blend until smooth. I used the "ice cream" setting on my
Vitamix - use that if you have it, if not, just blend regularly until very smooth and creamy.
4. Pour strawberry mixture into a loaf pan or freezer-safe container.
5. Now add those extra few strawberries to your blender and do a quick pulse so the strawberries
are chopped in pieces, but not totally blended. Swirl those strawberry pieces into the
container with the strawberry / coconut cream mixture.
6. Cover with plastic wrap, foil, or a lid and freeze for at least 5 hours or overnight.
7. Before serving, allow to thaw for at least 20 minutes before attempting to scoop.
8. Serve as is, or with your favorite healthy toppings. Enjoy!
Super easy, right??
So I realized that my "desserts" section of the recipe box is by far the longest list of recipes, not a huge surprise given my sweet tooth! So I would love to hear what other types of recipes you guys would like to see . . . more salads, quick dinner ideas, on-the-go breakfast . . . let me know!
Wishing you all a wonderful Labor Day weekend!
July 28th, 2016
June 23, 2017
Lindsay is a Holistic Nutritionist who lives for a great meal, a beautiful farmers market, daily matcha lattes, and homemade chocolate chip cookies. Weeknight Bite is Lindsay's happy place where her nutrition practice, simple recipes, and wellness tips come together to inspire you to live a healthy, balanced life.