This soup did not disappoint. It's got SO much flavor, a little spice, fresh herbs, and tons of veggies - exactly what I was craving. And what's better with soup than a crunchy, cheesy crostini to dip in the hot broth? I did my own take on the Cooking Light Ciabatta Parmesan Toasts to make them just a bit lighter and more flavorful, and they turned out so delicious. Best part - this whole meal was done in about 20 minutes.
Ok let's do it, Turkey Meatball Minestrone, ready set go!
Adapted from Cooking Light's Chickpea and Sausage Minestrone
3/4 cup uncooked small shell pasta
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 package Trader Joe's frozen Turkey Meatballs
1 package Mirepoix (or 1 cup diced onion, 1 cup diced carrot, 1/2 cup diced celery)
2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley - chopped
2 teaspoons fresh thyme - chopped
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
5 garlic cloves - chopped
1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans - drained and rinsed
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
Salt & pepper to taste
Parmesan Ciabatta Crostini
fresh ciabatta bread - sliced
1 garlic clove
Drizzle of olive oil
Freshly shaved parmesan cheese
1 tsp fresh thyme
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- While pasta cooks, heat olive oil in pot and add Mirepoix, parsley, thyme, red pepper, and garlic. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add garbanzo beans, tomatoes, broth, and turkey meatballs. Bring to a boil.
- Reudce heat to a simmer and add cooked pasta shells. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and shaved parmesan cheese.
- For the crostini:
- Slice the ciabatta bread and rub a clove of garlic firmly on the bread. This will give the taste of garlic but won't be too overpowering. Next, drizzle with olive oil. Add parmesan and a pinch of thyme over the top.
- Place toasts on a baking sheet, and put under broiler (on high) for about 10 seconds or until browned and cheese is melted.
- Serve with hot soup!