Ok, back up - what is it?
Matcha is a concentrated green tea powder from Japan. Totally different than the green tea in your Tazo tea bags. Matcha tea plants are grown in the shade, making them work much harder to stay alive. Because of this, their chlorophyll and antioxidant count goes WAY up. The nutrient-packed tea leaves are eventually steamed, dried, and ground into a fine matcha powder. So when you're drinking matcha, you're drinking the actual tea leaves, giving you 100% of their benefits! Cool!
- Sustained ENERGY & focus, without a crash.
- "Calm, focused alertness" thanks to L-theanine - an amino acid that improves mood and
concentration, while reducing anxiety. Energy without the jitters - yes please!
- Excellent source of chlorophyll (detoxification, digestive health, hormone balance, natural cancer fighter)
- Metabolism booster & calorie burner
- Anti-inflammatory and anti-aging
- Boosts immune system
- Protects against oxidative stress
- Regulates blood sugar and cholesterol levels
- Packed with Vitamins A, C, E K, B complex, Zinc, and tons of trace minerals
All those benefits in one little teaspoon of magical green powder. Let's make some lattes, shall we!
1 tsp matcha powder (I recommend ceremonial grade)
1 cup water
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or coconut milk
Optional: 3 drops liquid stevia
1. Scoop 1 tsp matcha into a glass.
2. Add water and whisk well until matcha is dissolved and there's a thin layer of foam on top.
Note: Traditional whisking method is a bamboo whisk, but you can also use a
regular whisk or this $6 frother that I love.
3. Fill a separate glass with ice and almond milk or coconut milk.
4. Pour the matcha/water into the almond milk. Add stevia drops, if desired. Whisk once more.
5. Drink up!
Hot Matcha Latte
Use all the same ingredients (except the ice!). Scoop matcha into a mug, add 1 cup boiling water. Whisk.
Add almond milk & stevia, if desired. Whisk again. Enjoy!
Thirsty for more matcha info? Check out some more awesome facts here and ask any questions you have in the comments below!
Cheers to your health, friends (obviously cheers-ing you with my iced almond milk matcha latte)!