Inspired by Martha Stewart
1 acorn squash, halved and seeded
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms (I like crimini or baby bella)
1/2 cup diced white onion
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1/2 cup cup white quinoa
1 cup vegetable broth
2 tbsp freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut squash in half, from top to bottom, and scoop seeds out with a spoon. Drizzle squash with 1/2 tbsp olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and place cut-sides down on baking sheet. Cover tightly with foil and roast until fork-tender, about 30 minutes or so.
- While squash is roasting. Make the stuffing. Heat 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil in a skillet. Sauté onion, mushrooms, and thyme until mushrooms are golden and onion is translucent. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add quinoa and veggie broth to the skillet and bring to a boil. Then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until broth has reduced. Once liquid is absorbed, fluff quinoa and remove from stove.
- Remove squash from oven and heat broiler. Using a spoon, scoop out a couple tablespoons of squash flesh from the inside of the squash, and mix it in with the quinoa-mushroom medley. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Divide mixture between squash halves. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese, and place squash back in the oven under the broiler (on high). Broil until melted and golden - about 2 minutes.