Here's everything you need to know to make your new favorite Meatless Monday dinner:
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup chopped white onion
2 garlic cloves - minced (or 2 frozen Dorot Garlic Cubes)
1 1/2 cups pre-cooked lentils (I used the Trader Joe's Steamed Lentils)
1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
4 whole wheat crackers (I used Ak-Mak)
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 tsp freshly cracked pepper
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
Any toppings you like - goat cheese, parmesan, dijon mustard, arugula, avocado, tomatoes, onions . . .
Serves 3 - 4.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and sauté 3 minutes or until onion and mushrooms are tender. Remove from heat.
- Place crackers in a food processor; process until coarse crumbs form. Remove from food processor; set aside.
- Place 1 cup of lentils and half of the mushroom-onion mixture in the food processor with dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and thyme. Pulse to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine the mixture from the food processor with the rest of the lentils (1/2 cup), the other half of the mushroom-onion mixture, an egg, flaxseeds, and the breadcrumbs.
- Get your hands in there and stir well. Note: If the mixture appears too wet, and you are unable to form burgers with it, you may need to add another few crackers to the food processor and then mix into your burgers to create the correct consistency.
- Divide mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into 1/2-inch thick patty.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add patties; cook
for 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned.
- If you are adding cheese, place your patties on a baking sheet, add the cheese, and place in the broiler for less than a minute, until melted.
- Add your all of your favorite toppings and enjoy!