You ready to make these cute little cookies yet?
2 egg whites
1/4 tsp salt
1/6 cup SweetLeaf Stevia SugarLeaf
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp natural almond butter
Optional: chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, or sliced almonds. I like to add 1 chocolate chip in the middle of each cookie.
- Start by cracking 2 egg whites in a bowl and adding the salt.
- With a hand-mixer, whip up the egg whites until they become frothy. This will take at least 1 minute, with the hand-mixer on a med-high speed.
- Add half the sugar and while mixing, add the other half in slowly. Be careful not to overmix - we want to keep the egg whites fluffy.
- Fold in coconut and use a rubber spatula to combine, gently. Leave about 1 tbsp of coconut to sprinkle over cookies at the end.
- Add almond butter (at room temp), and use rubber spatula to evenly distribute and combine ingredients.
- Add vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Spoon the batter onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, or use an ice cream scooper for the batter so the cookies are all the same size.
- Place a chocolate chip in the center of each cookie. Then sprinkle the remaining 1 tbsp coconut over the cookies.
- Bake at 325° for 15 minutes or until macaroons are slightly browning on the edges and top.
My dad is a total health nut. He literally has the cleanest diet and lifestyle I've ever seen, and no wonder he has so much energy and is always feeling amazing! Anyway, he came to my apartment the day after I made the macaroons and I said "Dad! Try out these healthy cookies that I made!" "No thanks Linds, but they look good." "No seriously Dad, they're really healthy! Just egg whites, coconut, almond butter, a little salt, stevia, and vanilla! And ONE chocolate chip!" After skeptical look, my healthy dad ate not one, but several, of the cookies, and he was amazed. He was convinced they had to have some butter or oil in them . . . how could they possibly be so buttery and yummy with just those few ingredients? I can't explain it, they're just that good! Moral of the story - these macaroons passed the Gary-Levine-health-test, and the Lindsay-Levine-deliciousness-test, so I'd
say that's a win for everyone! :)
Enjoy and have a sweeet day!