Vegan Banana Coconut Pie (perfect for Passover!)
To be honest, I've always been a bit wary of raw, vegan pies and cheesecakes. A whole pie that's pretty much made from nuts? A dairy-free cheesecake where the base is cashew cream? Huh? I'm so used to baking my desserts and enjoying nice warm cookies or blondies right out of the oven, that it never really occurred to me to attempt a raw dessert. Last week, Mitch's sweet grandma, AKA Babé-le, noticed that I hadn't posted a new recipe in a week and thought I could use some inspiration. She sent over some recipe ideas for Passover and after seeing this Vegan Banana Coconut Cream Cheesecake, I was so impressed by all of the healthy ingredients that I decided it was time to try it out!My sister, Jamie, and I tackled the recipe together, with my mom as the skilled camerawoman (thank you both!!). With 3 Levine ladies in the kitchen, there were a lot of laughs and just a few spills, and we ended up with a seriously delicious dessert! While it's great for Passover since it's grain & wheat-free, I'd definitely make this for any occasion - not only is it pretty, but it's also full of real, whole ingredients that will leave you feeling light and healthy!
Lightly adapted from Joy of Kosher
1/2 cup medjool dates, pitted (and soaked in warm water for 10 min if they look dry)
1 cup almonds (rinsed)
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 tsp honey
1/4 tsp sea salt or kosher salt
1 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
4 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp maple syrup or honey (maple syrup for vegan!)
1 ripe banana
1/3 cup coconut cream (tip: put can in freezer for 20 min and then turn it over before opening - the
creamiest part will separate from the liquid, so you get an extra creamy result)
1/2 tsp vanilla
Juice of 1/3 lemon (about 2 tbsp)
Drizzle: 1/3 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (melted) + 2 tbsp coconut oil
Raw almonds (whole or sliced)
Sprinkle of shredded coconut
2 tbsp chopped dairy-free chocolate
1. Soak your raw cashews in water overnight or up to 36 hours.
2. To prepare the crust, add the ingredients to your food processor and pulse until well blended but
still slightly mealy. It is perfect consistency when it sticks together.
3. Press crust into a lined spring-form pan and smooth it out with the back of a spoon so it's nice and even.
4. Place in the fridge while you work on the filling.
5. For the filling: drain cashews and add to a food processor or blender with all other ingredients. Pulse
or blend until perfectly smooth and creamy.
6. Remove crust from the fridge and pour your filling so it evenly covers the crust. (Tip: bang it once or twice on the
countertop to make it even)
7. Place in fridge for about 10 minutes while making the drizzle.
8. Melt chocolate chips with coconut oil either on in the microwave or on the stove.
9. Pour melted chocolate into a plastic baggie, twist, and snip the point of the bag for easy drizzling.
10. Drizzle chocolate on your pie, then add any other toppings you'd like. We placed almonds around the edge
of the pie, sprinkled some shredded coconut, and then chopped a chocolate bar and sprinkled in the middle of the pie.
11. Let it sit in the freezer for at least an hour, then you can move to the fridge. Wait until
it is completely set to remove from the springform pan and slice.
If you think this looks like it's a lot of steps, don't be intimidated! It was really easy and fun to put together! Once it's set in the freezer, the consistency is similar to cheesecake - yum!
For more Passover-friendly recipes, check these out:
Almond Meal Cookies with Coconut & Cacao
Paleo Chocolate Chip Blondies
Healthy Coconut Macaroons
Wishing you all a wonderful week! Thank you again to Babele for the great idea, and to my sister and mom for being part of the fun!
4/6/2016 10:35:46 am
This is fantastic, I am going to get the ingredients to make it for Passover. I love it and loved seeing Jaimie also. WOW!!!
4/6/2016 04:28:58 pm
Lindsay...This looks like a delicious pie for Passover! It seems to have a very thick and creamy consistency and the flavor must be great with all those tasty but yet healthy ingredients. I can't wait to try it. Nice to see Jamie on Video.
4/7/2016 09:11:49 am
What a great desert. I tried it and loved it. The two best co-hosts in the world.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
July 28th, 2016
Almond Milk Matcha Lattes
June 23, 2017
Almond Butter Cup Smoothie
Lindsay is a Holistic Nutritionist who lives for a great meal, a beautiful farmers market, daily matcha lattes, and homemade chocolate chip cookies. Weeknight Bite is Lindsay's happy place where her nutrition practice, simple recipes, and wellness tips come together to inspire you to live a healthy, balanced life.