Winner winner chicken dinner! I think this is my favorite chicken recipe that I've ever made. Yep . . . I know it's a big statement but with my new-found love of mushrooms, I could not get enough of this chicken dish!
Most mushroom sauces, or Marsala sauces, are filled with butter, cream and flour. Not this one! The white wine gives it a wonderful flavor, and as it reduces, the sauce thickens. All you need to add is a half tablespoon of whole wheat flour and you've got yourself a very creamy and delicious mushroom & wine reduction sauce! This was perfect on the chicken but I bet it would be amazing with steak as well!
For the chicken:
4 chicken breasts (thin sliced so they cook faster)
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt & Pepper - sprinkle on each side of the chicken
For the sauce:
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil (to coat pan)
1 1/2 cup sliced crimini mushrooms
1 shallot - diced
1 or 2 chopped garlic cloves
1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
1/2 tbsp whole wheat flour
1/4 cup water
2 tsp thyme - fresh or dried
Salt & Pepper to taste
To make this gluten free, substitute whole wheat flour for gluten-free flour or almond flour.
1. Finely chop shallot and garlic and set aside for later.
2. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
3. Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a pan on the stove over medium heat. Add chicken to the pan and cook for 5-8 minutes per side, or until cooked through (check the middle to make sure it's fully cooked). Set the chicken aside while you make the sauce.
3. Using the same pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil. Add shallots and sliced mushrooms and sauté until they begin to brown and get tender.
4. Add chopped garlic and wine to the pan and bring to a boil. Allow to continue cooking until the liquid reduces to about half.
5. Add salt and pepper and whole wheat flour. Stir to combine.
6. Add water, again, letting it reduce until the sauce is thick.
7. Pour the sauce over the chicken breasts and garnish with thyme.
July 28th, 2016
June 23, 2017
Lindsay is a Holistic Nutritionist who lives for a great meal, a beautiful farmers market, daily matcha lattes, and homemade chocolate chip cookies. Weeknight Bite is Lindsay's happy place where her nutrition practice, simple recipes, and wellness tips come together to inspire you to live a healthy, balanced life.