Typically, this dish is breaded and fried, which wouldn't be doing us any favors when it comes to buttoning our jeans. Sun Basket puts an extra healthy spin on the recipe by swapping the traditional flour and breading for a crust made with whole wheat panko and chopped walnuts. The chicken is cooked first on the stove and finished in the oven, so that it has that perfect crunch without getting dried out. Aside from being delicious, this recipe is packed with health benefits thanks to the walnuts in the crust. Did you know walnuts benefit brain & heart health, fight depression, and support weight loss? Plus they're a great source of omega-3's, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Let's get cookin, shall we?
2 organic boneless skinless chicken breasts
¼ cup walnuts, chopped
1 tbsp chopped shallot
1 pasture-raised organic egg
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
½ cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs*
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Zest of 1 lemon
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Zest the lemon, and then cut the lemon into slices. Set aside.
3. Prepare two shallow bowls to make a crust for your chicken. In the first bowl, whisk together
an egg with the dijon mustard. In the second bowl, combine the whole wheat panko,
chopped walnuts, chopped shallot, lemon zest, and as much or as little cayenne
as you'd like. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
4. Dip the chicken into the egg mixture, then into the walnut mixture, pressing to coat on all sides.
5. Warm 2 tbsp olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the prepared chicken and cook until
golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the chicken over, transfer the pan to the oven, and
roast until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes.
6. Serve with sliced lemon on the side. Enjoy!
*Note: feel free to swap whole wheat panko breadcrumbs for gluten-free panko.
To make this Paleo, swap panko for almond flour.
If you'd like to try out Sun Basket's meal delivery service and cook up healthy recipes like this every week, click here for 50% off your first order!