Recipe inspired by The Roasted Root
2 cups raw walnuts
2 cups raw cashews
1 cup raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
2 tbsp chia seeds
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 cup dried cranberries or golden raisins
1 egg white
2 tbsp water
3 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp kosher salt
Yields 2 quarts of granola
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Add the walnuts, cashews, and pepitas to a food processor or blender and pulse a few times to roughly
chop the nuts. (Do not grind them into a fine meal - just a rough chop!)
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk, whisk, whisk the egg white with the water until it becomes bubbly and slightly foamy. Then add the coconut oil, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt, and whisk well to combine.
4. Pour the chopped nut mixture into the egg white mixture, then add the chia seeds, shredded coconut, and cranberries. Stir everything together to make sure it is evenly coated.
5. Spread granola mixture evenly on your parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until golden
and crispy. Stir once after 10 minutes of baking. Make sure to watch it carefully as it can burn on the outer edges and may need to be mixed more than once!
6. Remove granola and allow to cool. Do not break it apart until it's cooled for at least 10 minutes so
you can get some nice clusters!
7. Use a spatula to get under the granola and break it up. Once cooled, store in a sealable glass jar.
8. Enjoy with almond milk, on top of yogurt, on top of a smoothie bowl, with your chia pudding or just alone as a snack!
Eating this granola with almond milk and sliced strawberries made me so happy - it took me right back to my sorority-girl-cereal-monster days . . . but much healthier this time! :)
Happy wellness Wednesday, friends! Wishing you all a very healthy and delicious week!