Not only is this sandwich totally filling and packed with flavor, it's also amazingly healthy - stuffed to them brim with protein, grains, veggies, and healthy fats! What better way to start your day? Even after scouring the country in search of the best bites ever created, Natalie's favorite meal is still her breakfast sandwich - and after tasting it, I gotta admit, I'm pretty EGGSTATIC about it too!
Here's how you, too, can get start your day off the most eggstatic way!
2 slices whole wheat bread (my fave is Ezekiel brand)
1-2 cups spinach
A few dashes of Tapatio or your favorite hot sauce
1/4 white onion, thinly sliced
1 slice of your favorite cheese (I use T.J.'s yogurt cheese since
it's low in lactose)
1/2 ripe avocado
Trader Joe's Cilantro & Chive Yogurt Dip - a generous amount
Heirloom tomato - sliced
- In a small sauté pan, start by sautéing your thinly sliced white onion until it softens. Then add your spinach and cover until it shrinks down.
- Crack your eggs into your pan and scramble them up with the spinach and onions. You could always whip them up separately and then add them, but I like Natalie's mantra - the less dishes to clean, the better!
- Add hot sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Once cooked to your liking, push your eggs together in the center of your pan to create an egg "mound", and then add your slice of cheese on top. Turn off the stove, cover until cheese melts and get your healthy wheat bread toasting!
- Spread a generous amount of the TJ's Cilantro & Chive Yogurt spread on each slice of toast (the true ticket to this delicious sandy!).
- Then add your avocado.
- Remove your melty egg mound and place on top of the toast. Start adding your toppings - tomato slices (heat them up on the skillet first so they're not too cold on your hot sandwich), red onions, whatever else you like!
Have an eggstatic, fabulous day!
Make sure to follow Natalie's blog, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram!