Let's start with the essentials. Stock your pantry and your freezer with these healthy items so you're ready make a power smoothie whenever hunger strikes . . .
Lindsay's Smoothie Essentials
- High quality plant-based Protein Powder: my favorites are Beaming Superfood Protein Blend & Perfect Fit Vanilla Protein
- Super seeds: chia seeds, hemp seeds, and flax seeds (great sources of fiber, protein, vitamins / minerals, essential fatty acids, omega-3 and omega-6!)
- Nuts, oils & spreads: almonds, walnuts, almond butter, extra virgin coconut oil, MCT oil, coconut butter (healthy fats)
- Fruit: frozen bananas (I slice each banana into thirds before freezing), lemon, apples, mixed berries, and pitted dates
- Greens/Veggies: I love spinach and kale (fresh or frozen), Persian cucumber, and avocado (to make smoothies nice and smooth, especially if you're not adding fruit)
- Powders, Herbs & Spices: spirulina powder (full of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals), Collagen Peptide Powder (amazing for joints, bones, hair, skin, immune and digestive systems, plus a great protein source), ginger (digestion), turmeric (anti-inflammatory), cinnamon (reduces blood sugar), mint (digestion, anti-inflammatory)
- Nut milk: I always use unsweetened vanilla almond milk, but you could also go for cashew milk, hemp milk, or coconut milk (always check the ingredients to make sure it's carrageenan-free!)
This may seem like a long list at first, but it will be so worth it once you're all stocked up, and I promise these pantry essentials will last you a long time! You'll also be ready to go for tons of different types of smoothies to satisfy whatever you're in the mood for, whether it's something sweet, fruity, super green, nutty, spicy, you name it.
1 handful of spinach
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 scoop plant-based vanilla protein
1 scoop Collagen Peptides
1/3 frozen banana
1 tbsp almond butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 - 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
Combine all ingredients in a blender and whirl away!
And please share... what are your favorite smoothie ingredients? I'm always looking for new ideas!