3 handfuls of spinach
2 Bartlett pears (peeled) - not quite ripe
Drizzle of honey + 1/2 tbsp for dressing
1/2 cup roasted hazelnuts - chopped
1/2 cup dried figs - chopped (I used Trader Joe's Turkish Smyrna Figs)
1/4 cup freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 shallot - minced
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tbsp honey
Salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and a bed of fresh thyme.
- Start with the pears. Slice in half and use a melon baller to remove seeds. With the flat side down, cut slits in the pear, slicing through just one side of the pear. Press down to "fan" the pear out. This is purely for aesthetics so don't worry if some slices detach. Place sliced pear on the bed of thyme on baking sheet. Drizzle with honey and finish with freshly cracked pepper and salt over each pear.
- Roast pears until they are soft and slightly golden - about 25 minutes.
- At the same time, toast hazelnuts in the oven until golden - about 5 minutes. Once finished, slice hazelnuts or run through food processor.
- For the dressing, chop shallot and let it sit in the tbsp of red wine vinegar for 5-10 minutes. Then add olive oil, honey, salt and pepper.
- When pears are finished, carefully remove them from baking sheet and discard thyme sprigs.
- Assemble salad - spinach, dried figs, hazelnuts & roasted pears on top. Finish with dressing and shaved Parmesan.