Another beautiful thing about this recipe - the whole meal cost less than $15 (including good quality organic ground chicken) and it makes FOUR heaping servings. Cha. Ching.
1/2 head of cauliflower - chopped into florets
1 package organic ground chicken
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 frozen garlic cubes - or chopped cloves
1/2 white onion - diced
1 can black beans - drained and rinsed
1 cup corn
1/2 can fire-roasted (or plain, diced) tomatoes
1 medium avocado - cubed
Pico de gallo - for topping
Fresh cilantro - for garnish
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder - 1 tbsp for chicken, 1/2 for rice
Dash red pepper flakes - or more if you like it spicy!
1 tsp oregano - 1/2 for chicken, 1/2 for rice
1 1/2 tsp cumin - 1 tsp for chicken, 1/2 for rice
Dash of paprika - for chicken and rice
Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by pulsing cauli florets through your food processor until it looks like the consistency of rice. It will look something like this:
- Then, make the taco meat . . .
- Bring all your ingredients over to the stove with you. Saute 2 garlic cubes, and 1/4 chopped onion in 1 tbsp olive oil until the onion softens.
- Add ground chicken. Chop it up with your wooden spoon so it is the consistency of taco meat.
- When chicken is still slightly pink, add 1 tbsp chili powder, a dash of red pepper flakes, 1/2 tsp oregano, a dash of paprika, and 1 tsp of cumin. Season well with salt and pepper. Cook through and taste to make sure it is seasoned to perfection. Move to a back burner with heat on low/simmer.
- Heat 2 more garlic cubes and the other 1/4 chopped onion in 1 tbsp olive oil until onion softens.
- Add cauli rice. Stir together until rice starts to heat through. DO NOT OVERCOOK or it will be mushy.
- Add the rest of the spices - 1/2 tbsp chili powder, dash red pepper flakes, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp cumin, dash of paprika, salt and pepper. Be generous with the salt as the cauli rice can be very bland without it!
- Add half a can of tomatoes, or a full can based on your preference. Add black beans and corn. Mix well.
- Taste test the rice to make sure it is seasoned correctly.
- TACO BOWL TIME!
- Now assemble your taco bowls! Cauli rice on the bottom, ground chicken on top, then pico de gallo, then avocado, and fresh cilantro. Feel free to add your favorite taco toppings - cheese, cholula, salsa, sour cream, etc.