These pizza bites are pretty easy to whip up, especially when you buy pre-riced cauliflower. My freezer is stocked with organic riced cauliflower from Trader Joe's - it makes healthy cooking super quick and easy. If you can't find it pre-riced, making cauli rice in your food processor is no big deal and will only take a couple extra minutes.
There's one important step when it comes to making cauliflower crust - you need to squeeze the moisture out of the cauliflower before mixing it with the other ingredients. You might be tempted to skip that part, but don't! It makes a big difference in keeping the "crust" from falling apart. Once you squeeze the moisture out of the cauli and combine it with the cheese, an egg, almond meal, and some spices, you're good to go!
for the crust:
4 cups riced cauliflower (or 1 large head of cauliflower)
1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp almond flour
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
Salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup marinara sauce (I like Rao's brand)
Chopped cherry tomatoes
Any of your favorite veggies!
makes 20-24 mini pizza bites.
2. If you don't have pre-riced cauliflower, make the cauli rice by chopping a head of cauliflower into florets
and pulsing them through the food processor until you have a rice-like consistency.
3. Transfer the riced cauliflower to a glass bowl and cover with a paper towel. Microwave for 4 minutes or
until cauliflower has softened. Allow to cool.
4. Using a tea towel, a cheese cloth, or a mesh strainer, drain the water out of the cauliflower. I used
a mesh strainer and paper towels and "pushed" the water out through the strainer.
5. Add the dry cauliflower rice back into your bowl and combine it with the rest of the crust ingredients. Mix
until it's thoroughly combined.
6. Scoop about a tablespoon of the crust mixture into the mini muffin pan (I used a cookie scoop for this),
and press down so the crust is packed in there.
7. Bake for 10 minutes or until the crust starts to become golden.
8. Remove from the oven and add your marinara sauce, cheese, chopped cherry tomatoes, and any other
desired toppings on top of each individual crust.
9. Bake for an additional 4 minutes or until cheese is melted. If you want extra bubbly cheese, switch to broil for an extra 30 seconds. Keep your eye on it while the broiler is on - it can go from perfect to burnt in a matter of seconds!
10. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Run a knife around the edges of each pizza to help loosen
it and remove it from the muffin pan.
11. Garnish with fresh basil and serve with an extra side of marinara for dipping!
*I recommend using a silicone muffin pan. It will make it much easier to pop the mini pizzas out once they're done baking.
Let me know if you try them out! Make sure to tag @weeknightbite and #weeknightbite if you do!
Happy Super Bowl!